For my challenge to eat only tree products for a whole week, I couldn’t do without chocolate. Technically the main ingredient for chocolate grows on the cacao tree. However a lot of other ingredients in most commercial chocolate contains other non-tree sourced ingredients.
As I wanted to take my -only-eat-tree-produce- challenge seriously, I made my chocolate myself using only 100% tree products.
Not only super delicious, this Tree-chocolate is also super healthy. Boabab fruit is an amazing pre-biotic fibre. Although sugar stays sugar, the use of natural sugars in this recipe is a way better choice then the refined sugar used in most commercial chocolate.
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (raw) organic cocoa powder
- Sweetener: coconut blossom sugar or maple sirup (1/2 -1/4 cup depending on your taste for sweetness)
- Optional: Baobab powder, Nuts or Coconut rasp
- Create a "Bain Mary", this is a heated bowl of water with another bowl inside to melt the ingredients and prevent over-heating
- Chop the cocoa butter (melts better this way)
- Melt the cocoa butter and virgin coconut oil until smooth
- Gradually add the organic cocoa powder while stirring
- Add sweetener (coconut blossom sugar or maple sirup to taste)
- Optional: stir in the Baobab or Nuts (you can also decorate your chocolates with nuts)